Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 12:23:27 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:23:11 PDT you write:

>The lag time between shots has nothing to do with the download speed from
>the camera to the computer and everything to do with the internal memory
>buffer techniques.  The top end of digital cameras (the Nikon and
>Canon/Kodak hybirds) have very large buffers that will capture the scene
>almost instantly, then transfer it to flash disk or card disk later.  I
>think 12 is the max number of shots one of these will buffer.

True, but the readout time of the chip *does* limit how fast you can
take exposures.  If the chip doesn't have a frame transfer area (half
the CCD, the same size as the imaging part of the chip, but shielded
from light) to quickly move the image to for slower readout, then you
are limited by the readout of the chip.  I think this is around
10Mpixels/second currently, but I'm not sure you can read out that fast
and still have meaningful 32 bit images due to read noise.  Also, if you
have a 3kx4k chip to start with, in order to have a frame buffer on chip
you need another 3kx4k area, which makes the chip, say, 6kx4k.  Now
we're pushing the 9kx9k state of the art, and that ain't cheap!

Cheers,
--Lee