Re: [OM] Rechargable Alkalines (was Auto 310 and Bounce Grip 1)

Subject: Re: [OM] Rechargable Alkalines (was Auto 310 and Bounce Grip 1)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 21:40:47 -0500
-----------

---------------

>>Not sure about the NiMH ones, but I've been using rechargeable
>>Alkalines in my QA310s and T20 for a year with no problems. I
>>bought a set of 12 AA cells with charger for ~$15, not much more
>>than 12 AA Duracells...
>>

>>Shawn & Janis Wright

I too have some Rayovac Renewel batteries that I originally bought
to use in, besides other things, my camera equipment.

I have used the Renewals with my T20 flash and have found that the
recharge speed of the T20 is considerably slower than with using
normal Alkalines as well as NiCads.  I also found that using
the Renewals in my Winder 2 made it operate at about 1.3 frames
per second -- noticably slower than the normal 2 to 2.5 frames a
second using regular Alkalines or Nicads

I was looking on the Internet the other day and ran accross a web
site (don't have the URL, sorry ) that discussed the strengths and
weaknesses of the varioius battery technologies.

One of the things about the Renewals not commonly advertized is
that they have a relatively high internal resistance.  That means in
applications that have kind of high current drain they have a pretty
high voltage fallof due to internal resistance.  This is NOT true of
regular Alkalines, (not rechargable), NiCads and NiMH.

Therefore, I went out and bought 6 AA NiMH batteries to use in
my Winder 2 and T20.  The difference in Winder performance and
flash charge time is NOTICABLE!!   Granted, the NIMH were like
$10 for 2 AA batteries ( the charger was $17) but they can be
recharged as many times, almost ( 500 ) as NiCads ( 1000 ).
NiMH have more storage capacity ( 1250 ma-h .vs. 600 to 800
ma-h ) than NiCads.  NiMH also don't have NiCad's "Memory"
problem -- so you can recharge them any time.  Both NiCad
and NiMH charge to around 1.25 volts when fully charged.

The Renewals are best used in applications that don't have high
current drain and where you may need long shelf life.  They charge
to 1.5 volts and are considered "dead" at .9 volts.  But dont let
Renewals get anywhere near "dead" as that severely shortens
their storage capacity and therefore life.  It is good to "top off"
rechargeable alkalines as often as you like -- it actually makes them
last longer.  I use them in flashlights, radios and a portable LCD
TV.

Mark Hammons