Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 06:06:55 -0400
C.H.Ling wrote:

>I am willing to carry an extra body if it provide better image quality
>then digital film insert, may be our usage is different. You just want
>it to serve the Polaroid purpose. I want it service as a camera for
>casual shoot where I can get good quality 3R prints if I want. I have
no
>idea whether Olympus will make a Digital OM-5 but it should be very
easy
>for them as I don't see any difficulty. They have a quite good DL600
>electronics system, just need a change in mechanical construction. Of
>course most important is the market, we should show them our interest.
(..)
>Why you insist on a digital camera to take both digital and film? Just
>the extra weight of a body? You can sacrifice the convenience of extra
>memory card and many others?

>From a photographers point of view Imagek's solution is 100 times more
interesting than the DL600. Inserted in an OM body and a fine set of
Zuikos you're just as versatile as with film; you can have a range from
super wide angle to super tele, you have control over aperture and
shutter speed. The only thing you miss is the ability to use different
"film" speeds (the EFS-1 will be 100 ASA, maybe later Imagek will make
a 400 ASA version).
The DL600 on the other hand is just a very expensive digital point and
shoot zoom camera with a limited focal range and little control of
photographic parameters; it's just a digital version of the IS-100 or
Centurion.
Besides the DL600 (which uses CCD technology) has an immense energy
consuming problem (that's why the EFS-1 uses CMOS technology). A while
ago there was an article in the Dutch magazine Focus, telling the story
of a reporter covering a desert rally. He used a DL600 that he had to
modify to accept a portable accu (like large hammer flashes use)
otherwise the thing would be useless to him. He complemented the
machine though, for its ruggedness in desert conditions. The Nikon F5's
and EOS1n's of his collegues died one by one due to very fine desert
sand entering the bodies, the DL600 stayed alive... Lack of mechanical
parts, and body openings, of course. He used a digital camera because
he needed a digital format anyway, to transfer the photo's to his
newspaper using a modem and mobile satelite telephone connection.
An OM version of the DL600 would not only have the same problems, it
would also mean you no longer have wide angles due to the smaller
surface of the CCD sensor. The EFS-1 uses the full 36x24mm frame.

"Real photographers do it with mechanical bodies"

Hans