Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:33:13 +0200
Shawn Wright wrote:

> I had the opportunity to test low light shots on my 4T this weekend,
> while camping in a remote area of the West Coast. Because it was
> nearly a full moon, the stars weren't too impressive, but the
> moonlight was *amazing*, as it lit up several mountainsides
> surrounding the converging river valleys where we were camped. I
> setup the camera with a 50/1.8, dialed in +2/3 (Fuji Reala) and
> shot on self timer, then walked back to the camp, while we waited
> for the shutter to close. Exposures were around a minute, wide
> open, and my friend was suitable impressed, as he tried to figure
> out if his N*k*n F90X had a button to do this...

Well, the good "old" OMs... They do make it, don't they.

> On a slightly related note, I printed a shot taken last weekend in
> total darkness, except for light peeking through the stone doorway
> of an old lodge - I shot with the 50/1.8 wide open, and the
> sharpness at 8x12 print size is *very* impressive.

Shawn, put all of them, especially "the picture", on your site so we can see
them
(it)!

> In both these past weekends, I was amused at my friend with his
> F90X and two slow, heavy zooms - his bag weighs about the same
> as mine - with an OM-4T, OM-10, 35,50,85,135 Zuikos, ext. tube,
> T20 flash, and 12 rolls of film. The really ironic thing is that he is
> trying to learn better technique, having just started recently, so he
> uses manual focus, manual exposure! :-)

Aha! Now you have got *the* chance of your life! Convert him into the OM-world!!
I have tried to convert some dead-heads without success. (Must have auto stuff,
not old and unmodern. Sometimes I wonder if it's still possible to get a picture
without the new technology. I think someone is playing with me as I every now
end
then actually make it without auto... Oh my, how can that be!?)
Your friend will not be disappointed, we *know*, don't we? ;-)

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen

- Netscape Communicator user -