Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 08:55:03 -0700

Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> gma wrote:
>
> > This reminds me of the time I was walking towards the Glacier Point
> > overlook to
> > Yosemite Valley on a full moon nite.  I had my tripod over my shoulder and
> > my 4T
> > and a couple of fast lenses in a bag.  On the way out, I met a man coming
> > back
> > from the point.  He too had a tripod on his shoulder, but on the end of his
> > was a
> > Nikon, either an F3 or an F4, can't recall.  He expressed surprise that I
> > was
> > going to try to take some pictures.  "There's not enough light", he says.
> > It was
> > a bright full moon in a cloudless sky.  "Why do you say that", I asked.
> > "Well,
> > my camera says so", was his answer.
>
> [snip]
>
> If one don't know the basics of photography, one can't use and take advantage
> of the
> features of cameras. One can't tell if the camera is right or wrong, one just
> have to
> trust what it says. That is what I call to be a slave under technology, not
> the
> master over it.
>
> --
> Regards/
>   Ingemar Uvhagen
>   Gislaved, Sweden

My point exactly. I know many of our friends (and mine!) are Nikon users.  And
we love
'em. But in the field I've met a fair share using N90s, 8008s and even F4s (no
F5s yet)
who are just clueless.Start with an FM10 for goodness sake people. One F4s user
walked
out and set up within 3 feet of where I was working in a Yosemite meadow the
size of 2
soccer fields. (Talk about thinking for yourself!) He then asks (no kidding)
can I tell
him where the spots are where Ansel Adams took all those great pictures? (Jeez,
sure,
hold my hand and walk this way....)  Then he checks out my equipment and is
mortified to
see I'm using Olympus.  "They used to be pretty good. What happened?" He asks
Then he
learns my 4T has a spotmeter and wants to see if his reads the same as mine.
OK, time to
find another spot.  See ya. I think Ansel took a good one right where you are.
Stay
here. Nice Nikon user Stay... stay...

george