Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:47:47 -0500
>Aha! Now you have got *the* chance of your life! Convert him into the
OM-world!!
>I have tried to convert some dead-heads without success. (Must have auto
stuff,
>not old and unmodern. Sometimes I wonder if it's still possible to get a
picture
>without the new technology. I think someone is playing with me as I every
now end
>then actually make it without auto... Oh my, how can that be!?)
>Your friend will not be disappointed, we *know*, don't we? ;-)

It's interesting to see how automation has permeated the MF and LF
professional world too.  You have a new generation of professional
photographers out there that are complete slaves to the technology.  I get a
kick out of them with their Minalta digital flash meters trying to convey
the information to the electronic wonder bricks of cameras that are giving
entirely different settings in their viewfinders.  Most of them give up and
run kajillions of poloroid proofs.  Meanwhile, there are a couple minimalist
old-timers who come in, setup, take a reading or two, slide a light around a
little bit, meter again and fire a couple shots.  Ten minutes later they are
finished and ready to go to lunch.  Meanwhile the new generation is running
roll after roll of film through the cameras with every imaginable bracket to
cover themselves.  (1/10 stop brackets--for crying out loud)

With experience and THINKING one could go in, setup and never take a single
meter reading.

Ken N.