Re: Re[2]: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:03:44 +0800
----------
> From: JIM_TEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Digital vs. film
> Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 5:29 PM
>
>      It is always a debate for this subject and where is photography
>      heading to?
>
>      Traditionally a "good picture" we talk about composition and
exposure
>      but now with digital technology things has changed.
>
>      Now forget about exposure and compositions, images is stored
digitally
>      and the final image is "created" through the manupulations of PC. We

>      should define this new generation as "image creator" and Not
>      photographer at all.

Not necessay if your manupulations is for adjusting the color and contrast
to reflect the actual shooting situation. Even some slightly enhancement
should not affect the status of being a photo. Some darkroom technique also
tell you how to manupulate your photo. So why the one who took the picture
is not a photographer?

>      Currently the output for digital image on print is still cosidered
>      costly compared to those printed from film. Using thermal-dye sub
>      printer is excellent choice but it cannot control certain color
tones
>      properly at times eg. tungsten /candle light sometimes giving funny
>      unusaul shades of tones. Compared side by side with a conventional
>      print at the first glance the digital print looks eye-catching but
>      closer into the details it cannot be as good as the conventional
print
>      from film.

I am not sure about this, but I have never heard such before. If you don't
like dye-sub try our slide output service to see if the color reproduction
is okay or not.

>      For long term storage, film will have problems like color shift in a

>      couple of years. But for digital storage, will there be a
possibility
>      that your file might get corrupted one fine day???

Good point, I will make two backup copies for important images, even with
different medias... at a very low cost.

C.H.Ling