[OM] 85/2 vs. 100/2.8

Subject: [OM] 85/2 vs. 100/2.8
From: Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:42:56 -0600 (MDT)
I've never seen a lens in the 85mm to 105mm range that wasn't superb.
these are the easiest focal lengths to make for 35mm.  Optically quality
is not a good criterion for deciding between 85/2, 100/2.8, and 100/2
Zuikos, but rather focal length, price, and weight are, and what you plan
to use the lens for.  (that said, the 100/2 is the best of the lot, not
just among Zuikos but among most of these types of lenses made by anyone).
If for portraits, an 85mm lens is probably better, with a 100-105mm one
suitable for a head shot.  For landscapes, if you alreayd have a 50mm lens,
100mm will give you a sufficiently different perspective while 85mm probably
isn't enough of a jump from 50mm.  with fixed focal lenses, you zoom with
your feet or by moving the tripod.  For macro lenses, longer focal length
means more working distance, but the difference between 90mm and 100mm
(the two choices for Om mount macros in this range right now) isn't that
significant.

My own choice in fixed focal length in this range is for a 90mm macro lens.
(I happen to use the Tamron 90/2.5 macro).  It does double duty for macro
work and portrait work.

But I really would prefer a zoom for portaiture when available-- 35-105
is probably ideal as you can get everything from a group shot to a
headshot without changing lenses.  you can set up a group shot,
and seeing an interesting pose or expression on one of the persons
zoom out and grab a head shot quickly.

joseph albert