Re: [OM] music

Subject: Re: [OM] music
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:11:34 +0000
>>As for LP versus CD... I've made enough live recordings to know that,
generally speaking, digital recorders are more accurate than analog
recorders, and that CDs or tape recordings (especially open-reel)
usually sound more like the master tapes from which they are derived
than LPs do. (This is easily demonstrated by comparing an LP with the CD
derived from the same tape. I've done it.) >>
I've just been comparing the sound of CDs with vinyl on classical music on
my system,
(Thorens TD166/Rega/Goldring vs Myryad MC100) Musical Fidelity A200 Amp,
Castle speakers using 2 recordings of Mendlessohn's Midsummer Nights Dream.
Conclusion
CD - sound of strings very thin (notice that on ALL recordings old and new)
otherwise other sections of orchestra good, especially woodwind
Vinyl - overall warmer, strings good, slightly spoiled by surface noise
though the LP is ages old,
probably better than CD,
You do however get "surface" or extraneous noise even with a CD.
Vinyl stands up very well even to a fairly expensive CD player
In the classical world I usually buy CDs for the
performance(er)/conductor/orchestra overiding technical quality. Pop/Jazz
CDs can be very well recorded, better than classical (eg Diana Krall's
latest 2 releases are the best I've heard). The HiFi dealer said he'd use
them as reference/demo.