[OM] rechargeable alkalines

Subject: [OM] rechargeable alkalines
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:49:24 -0700
Rechargable alkalines are made by Ray-O-Vac and called "Renewal."
("Again and Again" is Saft's trademark for their NiCad cells.)

Alkalines have chemical reactions that are hard to reverse, making them
difficult to recharge. (I've had luck with conventional AAA cells in the
Renewal charger, but larger cells seem to be damaged by any attempt to
recharge them.) It took Ray-O-Vac a long time to figure out how to make
alkalines rechargeable. I'm not surprised that their characteristics are
different (eg, a higher internal resistance.)

By the way, I'm surprised _anyone_ hasn't heard of Renewal. Ray-O-Vac
paid God-knows how much money to some famous basketball star (whose name
I don't know, and don't care to know) to promote them.