Re: [OM] People Shots - How?

Subject: Re: [OM] People Shots - How?
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:00:18 -0400

Chris Barker wrote:

> This talk of using the P&S/negative film for people shots has got me
> thinking about my ability with people.
>
> I am pretty useless at getting people to agree to a photo.  I am normally
> embarrassed to ask and I feel guilty or self-conscious if I don't ask.
> Therefore I normally resort to a long-focus lens and sneak one - with often
> mediocre results.
>
> Does anyone else worry?  Do you have a technique?  This is not meant to
> sound like a request for the most used chat-up lines with members of the
> opposite sex <:-).
>
> Chris Barker <><
>
> I don't believe that big is better; use Netscape and give MSIE a miss!

Just swallow hard and walk up and ask.  Most people will be more than happy to
let you take their picture.  Compliment them on something and it makes it
easier.

I was at a Harley Davidson Teddy Bear Run and one of the participants was the
image of the typival Harley rider.....  Long blond hair, beard, eyepatch,
leather.....  I asked if I could take his picture and he said no problem.....
I told him that since this was a Teddy Bear run where the bikers were carrying
Teddy Bears to a Children's Hospital, he was sure ruining his image.  He
laughed.....

You may have to work a deal with some street people, like a couple of bucks.
Get some model releases and shoot away.....

Bob
--

                   ////////
                  (  o o  )