Re: [OM] 100 f2.8 vs 85 f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 f2.8 vs 85 f2
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:22:26 -0700
On 10 Sep 98, at 7:52, Richard Dale wrote:

> John, thanks very much for your well-considered response.
>
> You make an interesting point about matching the lens with your way of
> seeing. I find
> that the 100 seems to be nearer my own magnification than a 50mm which is
> supposedly
> meant to match human vision. Does this mean i'm long-sighted or
> telescopic!!.

When it comes to certain landscapes and portraits, this may not
be that unusual....

> Comparing the viewfinder image with my own if anything the 100 image still
> looks further away.
> Does the viewfinder give exactly the image that appears on the print.
> I like the idea of the 85 f2 since it is small enough to fit within the
> standard
> camera case (the 90 macro isn't). With the extra stop and close focusing
> correction I hope it ideal for some of the close up landscape images I
> attempt (sun shining through leaves in wood clearings etc).
> Also I hope it slightly more suitable for portraiture as I will be able to
> get a bit nearer the subject, of course I'll use that focal length for
> practically all of my landscapes.
> I hardly ever use the 28mm but I've used the 21 quite a bit, though I'm not
> a great fan of wide angles.
You're correct about the 85/2 being compact, and great for
portraits, and probably many landscapes, as these are the main
reasons it is my current favourite lens. Another one to consider if
you wish a bit more reach for those landscapes is the 135/3.5,
which can be had very cheaply (~$65 US), but can produce very
nice images, when shot at f/8 or beyond, which is usually the case
with landscapes. And if you don't like 135, at least you haven't
spent a lot. I've also used it as portrait lens, but it much softer
below f 5.6 than my 85/2. My last few rolls, I found myself using
the following combos more often than I'd have expected:

85/2 for outdoor portraits, and with 26mm ext tube for closeups, a
few landscapes
135/3.5 for most scenics
35/2.8 for a few scenics, and many shots where I could not move
away from the subject (ie: standing in 2-3 feet of cold running water
in a west coast rainforest... :-)
50/1.8 for those moonlit auto OTF shots...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)