Re: [OM] People Shots - How?

Subject: Re: [OM] People Shots - How?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:38:03 -0700
>From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I am pretty useless at getting people to agree to a photo.  I am normally
>embarrassed to ask and I feel guilty or self-conscious if I don't ask.
>Therefore I normally resort to a long-focus lens and sneak one - with often
>mediocre results.
>
>Does anyone else worry?  Do you have a technique?

A stopped-down super-wide is marvelous for "grab shots." I have an OM
21/3.5. I set it to f16, then put infinity at the right f16 marker, then
everything from 2 feet to infinity is in decent focus!

After setting it up for "fixed focuse" this way, I just hold the camera in
front of the subject in an unobtrusive manner and squeeze off a few shots.

The worst thing about this technique is keeping the focal plane
perpendicular to the ground. If you are not careful about this and your
background has any vertical lines, they'll shoot off to the sides of the
frame, taking your viewer's eye with them. I've got a tiny circular bubble
level stuck to the top of the rewind lever that lets me level the camera
without drawing attention. I found it in a flea market -- haven't seen any
since, but would love a few more! It's only about 3/8" in diameter.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229