Re: [OM] The Digital Orgy

Subject: Re: [OM] The Digital Orgy
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:28:44 +0100
All right if Gary Schloss has been unable to avoid joining in, I shall have
my sixpennyworth.

"And so, it seems that digital photography (DPG) is upon us, willing or not,
but it is likely to have a good 10-15 years of growing pains.  That's far
enough horizon for me to lose very little sleep over DPG in the next
2-3 years.  Meanwhile, if the new digital toys become as inexpensive as
the flatbed scanners, I will surely buy one to play with.  But, for any
serious work I'll stick to my OM's/Zuiko's.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss."

Yes, the flatbed scanners are very cheap now, and they will connect to Macs
(for which Dear Lord may we be thankful); but will they scan slides without
this dreadful faff with pyramidal reflectors and adjusting the alignment?
I tried with one from work (the pyramid) on my old Apple scanner (300dpi
BW/greyscale) but it was just TOO much trouble.

My input is that I want to stick my head in the sand and ignore the
putative advance of digital technology because it will not be as much fun
as having an old but more serviceable manual focus, match-needle,
mechanical shutter, light and compact, attractive and mine SLR with Olympus
on the front.

Chris Barker <><

I don't believe that big is better; use Netscape and give MSIE a miss!