Re: [OM] Manners (NO OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Manners (NO OM)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:54:17 -0700
Proper grammar and pronunciation is sport in my home.  We kid and tease each
other ruthlessly.  Heaven help you if you use "between" when "among" is
called for, of worse yet "can" instead of "may".  Tar and feathers is a
preferred fate.  But, this practice is among dysfunctional family members,
not an open international forum such as this magnificent list.

I am always awed by our European and Asian members who display such
excellent command of English as a second (or third) language.  Certainly far
superior to my command of French or German.  Tis very simple to overlook the
occasional misspelling or misuse.  I chuckle at the expressions and terms
used by the English and Australian members - proof positive we are peoples
separated by a common language.  But I've learned to understand and accept
that a lens in good nick does not mean a lens with a good gouge or hole in
it.  It means in good condition.  In American, a good nick is something you
get shaving......

All typos should be unconditionally excused.  We all make them, just as we
all will one day or another, send a private message accidentally to the
list.  Ahhhhhhh, time and forgiveness will heal all things.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.