Re: [OM] The Return Of Charlie

Subject: Re: [OM] The Return Of Charlie
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 15:58:14 EDT
Hi Charlie:

> Yeah, I know.  Would a haze filter give me more color?  Even the valley of
>  fire had
>  little fire, late afternoon.

I'll keep this reply on the list, since it is potentially of general interest,
albeit photo technique, rather than OM specific.  (Others feel free to
complain).

What has been happening over the last few weeks in the Las Vegas area is an
incursion of monsoonal weather from Arizona.  It has increased the relative
humidity and the haze has increased, along with the typical white skies on the
horizon that you get in humid Florida weather.  A polarizer will help cut
through the haze, but you still get uneven skies IF you dial in maximum
polarization.  An intermediate setting can help cut haze but not darken the
blue sky.  A strong haze filter also helps some, but warms the image.

IMHO [in my humble opinion], the best way to handle overly bright sky is to
use a graduated, grey, neutral density filter.  I have a Hoya one called
Gradual Color that I bought last year at the Ft. Meyers Camera Show.  Rotate
it so that the upper part of the picture (sky) is darkened in relation to the
foreground.  It works wonders.  Another option is a gel filter holder with a
cut in half neutral density filter.  Position the filter in the holder so that
the horizon is in line with the cut.  The effect is much more abrupt, though.

That said, I'll admit I forgot the technique while photographing the Bristol
Springs Historical District (near Pinoche, NV) last weekend.  I fear the
worst.

BTW [by the way], the Valley of Fire State Park Area got flooded by about 2
inches of rain yesterday.  I suspect there is road damage now.

P.S. I'll go back to cyberspeak abbreviations soon.  Thought it would help new
folks to see them spelled out once.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV