Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:30:30 EDT

<< Greetings -
    I'm new around here, and was wondering about the durability of the
 4Ti's electronic shutter. >>
I haven't heard many, if any, complaints about this shutter.  The main problem
with the prior OM 4 was a battery drain problem but not with the OM 4Ti.

<<Why is the 4Ti so much less expensive than the 3Ti?  Was the mechanical
shutter that much more costly to manufacture?>>

It is more or less a wonderfully functioning collector's item.  Almost
everything the OM3T can do, the OM4T can also do.  Exceptions are (1) OM3T-
fill flash at a ratio, (2)  OM3T-mechanical shutter at all speeds with battery
failure and (3) OM3T-absence of self-timer.

>    Also, could someone please describe and explain the use of the
> Telescopic Auto Tube 65~116, and the usual cost of one on the used
> market?  I am in need of macro capability, and wonder if the 50mm f3.5
> macro is adequate.  The Tube would allow me to use the 80 and 135 mm
> macros as well.  This is all new to me, and any help is apreciated.
> Thanks.

Where the 50/3.5 macro's optimal range ends around 1:2, the extension tube
with the 80mm picks up and goes from 1:2 to 1.2:1 and, with the diopter
correction, from 1:1 to 2:1.  It provides field capability in two lenses from
infinity to 2:1.  You can do the same with a bellows but it is much more
cumbersome.  I know of one for sale at a dealer used for $200 so if you can do
better go for it.

Good shooting (photographically speaking)
Warren Kato