Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:58:09 -0700
First, welcome :)
Second, I can't speak to the 3Ti vs 4Ti shutters, sorry.
But......I do know a little about the auto-tube...........
Think of the telescopic auto-tube as a rough-and-tough bellows.  It is a
delight to use in the field as its much more sturdy.  I always worry about
damaging the bellows in an outdoor setting.  Yes, you give up a little bit
of range at both ends, but the simplicity and durability make up for it.
The adjustment is not as refined as the bellows - you twist the front of the
unit to unlock it, push/pull to get the desired extension, and twist to
lock.  A tad coarse.  A focus rail is a very worthwhile accessory to have.
The 50mm f/3.5 will work very nicely with the auto-tube, as do the 80 and
135 (and the 20, 38, and 90 for that matter).

If you do not have any documentation for the various lenses and
magnification factors and such, I found a useful exercise was to place a
ruler on the table, then look through each lens at max and min extension.
At sharpest focus, note the distance you can off the ruler in the long
dimension of the viewfinder.  Note also how far away the film plane is from
the ruler.  It will be quite different for each lens/extension combination.
Intermediate extensions are ok to play with but the meat of information is
at the extremes.  This information can help you in selecting which lens to
use for various subjects with less guessing.  Good used ones are hard to
find.  KEH has one listed on their webpage for $179 in EX condition.  As
comparision, they also have a bellows in EX+ for the same price.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Ryan McNabb <rwmcnabb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked: