Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 4Ti and Macro Lenses
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:37:11 +0200
Ryan McNabb wrote:

> I am basically deciding (like a lot of folks, I guess) between
> adding to and building up my OM system and going with a Nikon F3 or F4
> system.  The OM 3Ti is one whopping expensive camera, and I am left
> wondering why...is it built to the "legendary" Nikon F standards?
> (150,000 shutter cycles, etc.)

If you have alread have OM equipment, there is no reason to change to
Nikon and lose your investment. Used OM stuff (you mentioned F3, F4) to
extend your system is, at least in Germany, much cheaper then the
compareable Nikon conterparts.
Nikon has a reputation as "pro" system, the available used stuff is
therefore often worn out and in bad condition.
A friend of mine started with two of the "legendary" F2 but could never
get them to work reliably. The odd prisms are nearly unreparable due to
missing parts. They are more collector parts then tool. The shutter of
the F2 is well know for missing accuracy at highest speeds. One of
shutter lost repeatetly there guidance and jammed.
My friend changed to F3, his first one had an misaligned flange distance
and light meter. The Nikon aproved repair service wasn´t able to correct
the flange distance due to not properly adjusted tools, so much to "pro"
service. After several attemps they could fix it, but he think, that the
meter is still not working reliable.
He has now bought two other used F3, I´m waiting how they will work.

To shutter cycles: I´ve read in the OM magazin, that the first OM-1 and
OM-2 were designed for 100 000 shutter cycles. They tested them up to
this number and found no significant wear, so you could expect a much
higher shutter lifespan.
I know an owner of two "non-pro" Rico cameras who did more then 200 000
exposure with them. So I guess that every decent camera can do 150 000
shutter cycles.

I would always choose an OM-4 before an F3 or F4:
Much smaller in size and weight, better metering system, better system
compatibility.

Richard