Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:32:32 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:30:44 PDT you write:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I've read the CAMREP faq and was particularly interested in making a
>Remote cord for my winder 2 and Om-10.
>I've got a couple of queries if anyone would like to help me!

Ok.

>1)Does a Remote cord allow me to fire my camera shutter via the winder 2
>from a distance - is that what a remote cord does?

Umm, yeah, that's why it is called a "remote cord". :)

>2)Does the phone jack fit inside the hole to the right of the winder 2
>shutter button?

Yep.

>3)If my interpretation of the faq is right, what you are effectively
>doing is using a length of cable to perform a short circuit. Right?  Or
>is a pulse of some sort meant to trigger the shutter?

Short circuit.

>4)I stuffed a mini phone jack into the hole on the right of the winder2
>fire button and I noticed something funny (if it is funny after all)  As
>you insert the phone jack the winder fires.  When you short the two
>wires connected to the jack - nothing happens (ok, perhaps the contact
>wasn't that good), when you withdraw the jack, the winder fires again.
>Is my winder defective??

No, that is normal.  Think about how the jack is made.  As you slide the
plug into the jack, the plug shorts the jack briefly.

>5) and finally does the remote firing work with sequence mode too?

Yes, it does.  All the remote jack is is a jack wired-or'd with the
switch on the winder.  All you are doing by using a remote cord is
adding another switch at a distance.  Switches work by causing a dead
short.  There is nothing magical here. :)

Cheers,
--Lee