Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:49:45 GMT
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:30:44 -0700, Konrad Pizzuto
<pizzuto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I've read the CAMREP faq and was particularly interested in making a
>Remote cord for my winder 2 and Om-10.
>I've got a couple of queries if anyone would like to help me!

Hello Konrad.
Of course you can always buy a remote cord instead of assembling
one...

>1)Does a Remote cord allow me to fire my camera shutter via the winder 2
>from a distance - is that what a remote cord does?

Yes, up to about 20 metres of even more if you use cable with thick
copper conductors.

>2)Does the phone jack fit inside the hole to the right of the winder 2
>shutter button?

Yes.

>3)If my interpretation of the faq is right, what you are effectively
>doing is using a length of cable to perform a short circuit. Right?  Or
>is a pulse of some sort meant to trigger the shutter?

You understood well. A closing switch, which is parallel to the
electric shutter button on the winder, is all that is needed.

>4)I stuffed a mini phone jack into the hole on the right of the winder2
>fire button and I noticed something funny (if it is funny after all)  As
>you insert the phone jack the winder fires.  When you short the two
>wires connected to the jack - nothing happens (ok, perhaps the contact
>wasn't that good), when you withdraw the jack, the winder fires again.
>Is my winder defective??

No. If the winder is 'ON' you will short the contacts by merely
inserting the plug.
But the contacts must have been bad (either inside the plug, or in the
socket-plug connection) - of course shorting the two wires must fire
the shutter too.

>5) and finally does the remote firing work with sequence mode too?

Yes, it does. All shorting circuits like switches and relays let you
use the same functions as the firing button.
I have used radio control units (for longer distance and for
synchronizing two cameras which couldn't be wired together because of
their positions) and the relays in the receivers operated the
winder/motor drive units flawlessly in both sequence and single mode.

>thanks for your help
>
>Konrad

Konrad, if you have trouble making the cable yourself, I have one
redundant (coming from an Olympus videocam). I also have some RC
units, if you might be interested. If so, email me privately, please.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - Holland.