[OM] Jumping ship?

Subject: [OM] Jumping ship?
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:45:57 -0400
Further to recent discussion, along with a large arsenal of Olympuses I've
recently started a Nikon system, which presently comprises an N70 and two
lenses.  Here's why.

I do astrophotography with the Olympuses, and there's nothing better.  The
OM-1 is the ideal camera for the job and the OM-2S and OM-4T work nicely
also.  I prefer the Olympuses for anything scientific in nature or requiring
slow, careful work or unusual optics.

However, Olympus never brought autofocus to the OM system (although they
tried briefly), and Olympus does not make a high-eyepoint camera for
eyeglass wearers.  (The OM-1 was just adequate; the OM-2, -3, -4, and -2000
screens cannot be viewed entire with glasses on.)

It appears that rather than discontinue the OM line outright, Olympus is
raising the prices, on the ground that they can continue to make a profit at
*some* price even if sales are very slow (like Leicaflex and Alpa).

But I think the OM-4T is the end of the line... I don't expect an OM-5,
although a minor update of the OM-4T with greater eye relief would be very
welcome.  The OM-2000 is basically a deal they made with Cosina -- a good
deal, but I'll bet it was Cosina's idea, not Maitani's.

So, for convenient casual photography (fast action, people and events, etc.)
I bought a Nikon N70.

Impressions:  It looks flimsy, it's made of plastic, and it takes great
pictures!  Despite the legendary accuracy of Olympus exposure meters, I find
that Nikon's matrix metering gives me good exposures automatically in
situations that would, at least, require appreciable thought with an
Olympus.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><