Re: [OM] market economics [no OM content]

Subject: Re: [OM] market economics [no OM content]
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:28:56 -0500
>Actually, we are far AHEAD of Japan in developing HDTV. (The Japanese
>system is outdated analog technology that requires very wide bandwidth.)
>Americans are so uninterested in quality "anything" that I'm glad HDTV
>is going to be forced down their throats. This is one occasion when it's
>good the US government had the sense to sidestep the market and "force"
>US companies to develop something better than what the Japanese offered.

...because we waited.  Had we jumped on the HDTV bandwagon 10 years ago we
would be saddled with a boat-anchor technology with too large of an
infrastructure to change.  I suspect that the Japanese system will quickly
adopt as the new digital technology is developed for the US market.

To bring this full circle back to cameras....

Is it possible that Olympus COULD introduce a new AF SLR with billions of
gadgets and gizmos that would be far superior to anything else out there
because they won't be saddled with 1st and 2nd generation AF technology?
CANON took a mammoth risk with the EOS.  They decided that the old lens
mount was crap (which it is), and build a all new system from the ground up
with nothing holding them back.  The success of EOS and Canon's marketing is
the stuff that doctorial theses are made of.

Actually, in a way, Olympus did give us our OM-5,6,7... with the IS series.
They decided to change the "lensmount" on us by integrating a decent zoom
right into the body.  They just didn't go far enough.

Ken N.