Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:00:28 -0700
Hi Joel! It is trivial to make a remote cord for either the Winder 1 or 2.
(I wish it were so easy for the full motor drive...) It is simply a short
circuit between the two contacts of a standard sub-mini phone jack.

As for the firing upon insertion, that is a basic flaw in the design of all
standard phone jacks. Upon insertion or removal, the tip of the plug shorts
the tip and ring contacts of the jack. The solution is to turn the winder
off before inserting or removing.

I wired up a long length of cable to a lever operated microswitch. This
switch has both normally open and normally closed contacts, and I put
another SPDT (center off) toggle switch in series to select which behavior
I wanted. I then potted the whole thing in hot glue.

Now I flip the toggle to normally open, and use the lever switch as a
remote trigger, or flip it to normally closed and tape the lever switch
against a doorjamb or other such snare to get suprise shots when the
tension on the switch is released! Fun -- especially in OTF auto exposure
mode -- the person opens the door, the winder fires, the shutter opens and
begins integrating light falling on the film, the person flips a light
switch, and the shutter closes, ready for the next victim!

To the repair jocks out there -- do you know if the button/jack assembly of
a winder can replace the "fat button" assembly on the MD1? I wish the full
motor drive had an easy, standard remote interface. (The MD remote cable
costs as much as a junk winder, and you cant' use it with another power
source connected...)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229