[OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8

Subject: [OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:53:22 -0700
Having never owned an AF camera, I was rather amazed at all the tiny buttons
and switches on one I had a chance to handle recently.  Afterward, I asked a
sampling of pro shooters how often they turned AF off.  The replies
surprised me - for the majority of the dozen or so I asked, said it was
"most of the time".  It seems they want the newest bodies and optical
technology, but AF itself is sort of something they accept but not really
use.  I thought that odd.  Now granted, the sample set was of hard-core
photojournalists specializing in motorsport, but I still think it's
(contractive form, not possessive <g>) a little counterintuitive.  Why is AF
so totally dominant if so many turn it off in "normal" use?

I have to admit I was most pleased with my Olympus gear when some of them
noticed and commented how good it was to see an OM again.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.