Re: [OM] OLY Amer. repair pricing (was: OM shutter speed selector)

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY Amer. repair pricing (was: OM shutter speed selector)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:42:28 -0700
>Olympus offered free repair service to working  Pros (on site) at the first
>Shuttle launch (I was there), Democratic & Republican Conventions, the Winter
>Olympics in lake Placid, an scores of other events.   It was all free,
>with free
>loaner equipment.  This was while Nikon and Canon was giving away
>equipment to any
>Pro who would use it (to be seen with it)

Actually, not at the '80 winter games, as I recall.

I had press credentials at the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid,
shooting for the National Ski Patrol, who was responsible for athelete
safety during events.

My OM2 died in the bitter cold -- that was a particularly harsh Olympics --
and I made a panic call to to Olympus. They said they'd be glad to fix it
for free, but they weren't on site, and there'd at least be the express
parcel delay, so they suggested I take it to Canon, who was the official
Games sponsor in photography. I did -- Canon had a complete on-site repair
facility for the Games. They not only fixed it, but gave it a complete CLA
and returned it with a Canon ski hat, a Canon camera strap, a Canon
Olympics pin, and a commemorative shutter-speed print out on Canon/Olympics
'80 stationery. (Wonder what THAT would be worth at eBay? :-)

So I was pretty impressed with this collaboration between the two
companies, but as far as I Olympus told me, only Canon was allowed to have
a repair facility at the games under the sponsorship rules. I guess in
return for that exclusive privilage, they had to work on all other cameras,
also.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229