Re: [OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Is AF *really* used? was: Zuiko 35-80/f2.8
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:41:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/98 8:40:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Having never owned an AF camera, I was rather amazed at all the tiny
buttons
 and switches on one I had a chance to handle recently.  Afterward, I asked a
 sampling of pro shooters how often they turned AF off.  The replies
 surprised me - for the majority of the dozen or so I asked, said it was
 "most of the time".  It seems they want the newest bodies and optical
 technology, but AF itself is sort of something they accept but not really
 use.  I thought that odd.  Now granted, the sample set was of hard-core
 photojournalists specializing in motorsport, but I still think it's
 (contractive form, not possessive <g>) a little counterintuitive.  Why is AF
 so totally dominant if so many turn it off in "normal" use?

 I have to admit I was most pleased with my Olympus gear when some of them
 noticed and commented how good it was to see an OM again.

 John P >>

There was (is) a thread on this subject in rec.photo.equipment.35mm. The
opinions were by and large similar - most said they don't use autofocus that
often.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI