[OM] Photokina news...

Subject: [OM] Photokina news...
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:26:44 +0200
Hi all,
I guess I was not alone of the list at the opening of the Photokina today
but the best way to be informed is cross-information so...
Of course the first place where I went was the Olympus Stand...at first view
nothing new except some digital material a new Mju II Zoom and a new
compact...
So I met somebody from the Belgian distributor  and ask him...nothing ! For
us in Belgium the OM 2000 was not yet introduced so it will take the place
occupied in the past by the OM 10.
I've asked him about the production of the OM 4Ti and the OM 3 Ti they are
still produced, like is still produced the IS 3000 nothing new about the
lenses. For him perhaps some Zooms will be discontinued but he don't know
which ones ...
Not a very good news, he told me last year for the Belgium the sales of OM
were of...
only 200 hundred...Belgium is small but..!
I've asked him about some digital body and he told me he have seen ( I saw
it later but I'll be back in another mail tomorrow about that) a prototype
but it's only a prototype  and at this moment more for still life pictures.
He also explained me that on the Belgian Market Olympus have 500f the
digital market and on the world market the Olympus part is 26 o you could
make your own conclusion, a French Journalist told me latter that Olympus is
also leader in fact co-leader with Sony (the Mavica which seems to have less
success in the USA a US journalist told him that there are a lot of Mavica
"back to the shop" but it's a "one-way" information.
Sorry the news is not what we hope...I'll be back tomorrow with more details
about the digital prototype and also with information about the "Famous
Imagek" I saw it but...
regards
marc