Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:59:30 -0400
Greg Heier wrote:

> One of those sites someone threw out there had a test pattern slide
> scan, it didn't really look that good. The HP looks like it does better
> quality scans, for less money. The bad thing about the HP is that
> there's no NT support (what were they thinking?).

Hamrick Software does have a program, "VueSmart" that adresses the
Windows NT issue, along with some other shortcomings in HP's software,
at:
http://www.hamrick.com/

The last time I checked this was still a DOS interface, but that may
well have changed by now.  HP markets this scanner as part of the
"Photosmart" system, a consumer-oriented package. . . I read in another
forum that the scanner has drawn a more sophisticated audience that has
been compaining loudly about the clunky software.  For instance the
machine is capable of 30-bit per pixel resolution, but the supplied
software will only read at 24.  (VueSmart will give 30 bit)

I've had one for about a month, under Win95. The results with slides are
quite good, but I seem to get lower resolution scanning color neg.  For
$299. after rebate it's alone in its price class.

Morgan Sparks