[OM] Re: Tiffen Hoya B&W etc

Subject: [OM] Re: Tiffen Hoya B&W etc
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:31:42 EDT
Hi all--
I just ordered a Tiffen 72mm 1A for my 18mm f/3.5 because it was about $22 as
opposed go over $80 for an Olympus (Hoya?).  Did I go wrong by not getting the
Hoya, or B & W for that matter?

I have both Hoyas and Tiffens and prefer the appearance of the Hoyas with
their fine engraving as opposed the the rather splashy Tiffen logo, but this
is a small point.  The archives yielded some opinions on brands, with most
putting B &W and Hoya in the top drawer.  Why is this?  Is their glass better,
and in what way?  Are the colors and filtering qualities closer to a standard?
Are differences measureable to an extent other than an anally retentive
decimal place?  Most important to me, can you tell the difference in slides
and prints?  My tastes are simple (I like the best), but when you're talking
72mm filters, there's some real coin involved that could be spent elsewhere to
stem creeping Zuikosis if there is not a real difference.

-Tim Clark