Re: [OM] Underwater OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwater OM
From: John P Johnston <recruit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:57:20 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> At least a couple of you have indicated you use your camera with an
> underwater housing. How do you use it? Are you divers? What kind of housing
> do you use?
>
> Winsor
>
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California
> mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx

I have acheived some very good results using my OM system in an under
water housing.  I have an Ikelite housing that was factory setup for an
OM 2 and Winder 1.  I generally used my 50mm f1.8.

If you do shallow water dives,  less than 10 feet and if the water is
clear then a flash is not necessary.  If you go deeper then use a flash
to bring out the colour.  Salt water fish are definitly more colourful
than fres water.

For my underwater flash I have a case for the Soligor Auto Zoom 2000
which I purchased many years ago and it is like new as it has spent most
of its time in the housing.

The advantage of a housing is that the camera systen can be used for
other applications unlike a Nikonos.

The disadvantage is the size of the cases.  Add in your dive equipment
and there is a lot to package if you travel even if you rent the tank
and weight belt.  I have suffereed through being loaded down and have
some great photos ( my opinion ;-) from Bermuda, Hawaii, Bahamas.  The
colourful sealife are the key.  I have some from wrecks in the Great
Lakes as well but the visibiltiy and the lack of coluor reduce their
appeal.

I have been thinking of purchasing a special purpose camera for under
water us.  So if anyone is interested in an OM compatable housing
perhaps we can discuss off line.  My e-mail  recruit1@xxxxxxxxxxx.

John P Johnston
Renaissance Man