[OM] Voltage converters - CAUTIONARY NOTE

Subject: [OM] Voltage converters - CAUTIONARY NOTE
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:19:46 -0400
  << The VST Macro stand I acquired has an internal lightbulb, on the plug
it
  says 125 v 7A yet I am told voltage is 110 (apologies to Paul!). Which is
  correct.  I need a transformer for the UK (killer) mains current. >>

Another idea: replace the bulb?  If it's really just a light bulb, a new
bulb (same size and shape, rated for 240V) should be cheaper than a
transformer.

  Nominal voltage in the US is actually 117v, I think. I've seen devices
labeled
  110v, 115v, 120v, and 125v. All seem to work OK when I plug them into a
wall
  socket! The ones in my house typically read about 113v on my DVM.

Right.  US standard is 110-125 V, the whole range.

  You should be able to use one of the voltage converters designed for
  traveling. I know they are readily available in the US in department
stores
  and such for converting 220v current to US standard 110v. I would imagine
the
  inverse device is sold in Europe. Seven amps isn't all that much current,
just
  make sure the device is rated for at least that (most of the US converters
can
  handle a hair dryer, typically 10 amps or more).

Right, but let me add a cautionary note.  There are two kinds of voltage
converters.  One of them, small lightweight, and rated to handle many amps,
is suitable ONLY for incandescent light bulbs and heating elements.  It
produces pulsating DC, not AC; it is not a transformer.  (If all you have is
an incandescent bulb, that's OK.)  Transformers produce real AC; they are
heavy, expensive, and usually rated at 100 watts or less.  Even a
transformer doesn't change the frequency (50 Hz to 60Hz); if you have a
motor or something that actually requires 60 Hz, you're stuck!

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><