Re: [OM] How does metering work in reverse (was 1:1 with 50mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] How does metering work in reverse (was 1:1 with 50mm)
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:12:22 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/98 1:44:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I've never tried reversing the lens, but since this topic was brought up,
 I'd like to know how metering works when the lens is reversed.  Also,
 how does the aperture get closed down when you take the picture, as the
 linkage is now at the other end of the lens, away from the camera.  My
 naive thinking is that the aperture information is not passed from the
 lens to the camera, so no matter what you set the aperture on the lens,
 the camera will always think it is wide-open.  So can I still use the
 meter of an OM-1, for example, with a reversed lens?

 I can understand how a camera that does OTF metering can work, but then
 how do you close down the aperture to take the picture?  I don't remember
 any switch on a 50/1.8 lens other than the DOF button.  Can someone help
 to "initiate" us into this wonderful world of reverse lens photography? >>

I've actually never reversed a lens, either (does anyone know if Olympus makes
a reversing ring, or are they only available 3rd party?). Metering is done
stopped down, at shooting aperture. You don't need to do anything special on
the body. I assume you need to hold in the depth of field preview button on
the lens when metering and shooting. OTF should work fine.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI