Re: [OM] More on LCD shutters

Subject: Re: [OM] More on LCD shutters
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:06:59 +0800
----------
> From: Konrad Pizzuto <pizzuto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] More on LCD shutters
> Date: Saturday, September 19, 1998 10:53 AM
>
> I'm butting in !!!!
>
> I just touched on these emails lightly and I remembered that the Canon
> EOS-1N RS uses a special type of mirror that does not flip up to expose
> the film, but sort of reduces its reflectance or something.  This allows
> the person to have a continuous view of what's happening even during the
> actual exposure.  I think they use a material that reflects 1/3 of the
> light to the prism, and 2/3 to the film.  The curtains then simply
> control when the exposure occurs.
>
> Ling do you know anything about this?  Or anyone else perhaps?  I'm
> interested in this technology.
> I hope I haven't side tracked too much.
>
> thanks
>
> Konrad

I know there is a common half mirror, actually our OM2s, OM3,4 also having
one but with different transmit and reflection ratio. The technology is
very old and not expensive, I was once working for a company that do museum
exhibit project, we bought a piece of 4feetx6feet half mirror at around
US100 in a mirror shop locally. We used it for mixing the scene reflected
from the TV and the objects behind the mirror.

But I saw Jim Terazawa mentioned the Canon patented pellicle coating, may
be they have a better  technologies for this mirror. It was around ten
years ago that come with the Canon EOS RT. I have a magazine that mentioned
it was modified from the mirror used on a 1965 Canon Pellix. It was a
polystyrene piece coated with 23µm of titanium oxide and silicon oxide.

C.H.Ling