Re: [OM] hiking outfit

Subject: Re: [OM] hiking outfit
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:42:37 +0200
Joseph Albert wrote:

> Note that I prefer a non-floating element macro lens as a workhorse
> lens for macro work.  although the 90/2 macro is the better general
> purpose lens, and a superb macro lens as well, I find the Tamron 90/2.5
> or tokina 90/2.5 macro's to be more convenient for actual macro work.  the
> reason is that they are *not* floating element lenses, so it doesn't
> matter whether extension is in a tube of in the lens helicoid.

I don´t know for the Tamron, but my Tokina kataloge says, that the
Tokina AT-X M90 90mm/2.5 macro lens "is equiped with floating element to
provide optimal optical quality for the whole range of focusing". "The
macro extender was designed to keep optical quality and maximum
aperture".
So I doubt, this lens will deliver optimum performance on an bellows or
macro tubes.

Richard