[OM] Re: <No OM Content> Medium Format ??'s

Subject: [OM] Re: <No OM Content> Medium Format ??'s
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:49:55 EDT
Hi all,
This is strictly about medium format, So Hit the NEXT Button if not
interested.

I have been considering buying a medium format camera and about 3 or 4 lenses
to use for landscape shots where I may want to enlarge them to (10x) 16" x 20'
size, etc.
Here are some of the features I think I need.
1. Mechanical - for use in cold weather.  No need for power winder or a lot of
electronics. I would like a mirror lock up feature.
2. No Flash capabilities needed - I think focal plane shutter would be fine.
Leaf shutters in lenses seem to me like something more to go wrong?
3. Backs - I don't think I will need removable backs, although they sound
handy.  I plan on using only Velvia, so maybe inserts would be ok.
4. Prism - I do want a 90 degree finder or prism.  My thought is to use the
same tripod setup (position) as I would with my OLY camera.
5. Metering - I don't really care if it even has a meter.  I plan on using my
spot meter in my OM cameras or a hand held meter.
6. Format - I am not sure what format I prefer.  At this point, 6 x 4.5 looks
ok, but 6x6, 6x7 or even 4x5 would be considered.
7. Cost - I prefer to buy used, even if it takes a year or 2 to find & make up
a good clean system.  So I would like to start with a popular system to
increase my chances of finding good clean used lenses.  I would like to start
with a body and lens and stay under $2,000 and add on later with the lenses I
need.

I saw a Mamiya 645 1000s that seems pretty reasonable, body, prism, 80mm lens
for around $750.  This looks like it will fit my needs, but I have no idea if
this is a good (trouble free) camera or not.
What are the pros & cons on this older system??
The Mamiya RB looks great on paper.  And it has been around long enough that
lenses are easy to find.  But, it is huge!
What are the pros & cons of the RB?
The used Hasselblads are considerable more $$'s.  But, would this be the wiser
investment - direction?

I think it would be best to reply "privately", since this is not OM content.
Please mark the Subject with "PRIVATE" or "To BW" so I can scan the list for
Send to Onlyolybw@xxxxxxx
I look forward in picking the brains of this knowledgeable group.
Thanks,
Buddy Walters