Re: [OM]After OM, what?

Subject: Re: [OM]After OM, what?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:56:29 -0700
>ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> This is strictly about medium format, So Hit the NEXT Button if not
>> interested.
>>
>> I have been considering buying a medium format camera and about 3 or 4
>>lenses
>> to use for landscape shots where I may want to enlarge them to (10x) 16"
>>x 20'
>> size, etc.
>> Here are some of the features I think I need.
>> 1. Mechanical - for use in cold weather.  No need for power winder or a
>>lot of
>> electronics. I would like a mirror lock up feature.
>> 2. No Flash capabilities needed - I think focal plane shutter would be fine.
>> Leaf shutters in lenses seem to me like something more to go wrong?
>> 3. Backs - I don't think I will need removable backs, although they sound
>> handy.  I plan on using only Velvia, so maybe inserts would be ok.
>> 4. Prism - I do want a 90 degree finder or prism.  My thought is to use the
>> same tripod setup (position) as I would with my OLY camera.
>> 5. Metering - I don't really care if it even has a meter.  I plan on
>>using my
>> spot meter in my OM cameras or a hand held meter.
>> 6. Format - I am not sure what format I prefer.  At this point, 6 x 4.5
>>looks
>> ok, but 6x6, 6x7 or even 4x5 would be considered.
>> 7. Cost - I prefer to buy used, even if it takes a year or 2 to find &
>>make up
>> a good clean system.  So I would like to start with a popular system to
>> increase my chances of finding good clean used lenses.  I would like to
>>start
>> with a body and lens and stay under $2,000 and add on later with the
>>lenses I
>> need.
>>
>> I saw a Mamiya 645 1000s that seems pretty reasonable, body, prism, 80mm
>>lens
>> for around $750.  This looks like it will fit my needs, but I have no
>>idea if
>> this is a good (trouble free) camera or not.
>> What are the pros & cons on this older system??
>> The Mamiya RB looks great on paper.  And it has been around long enough that
>> lenses are easy to find.  But, it is huge!
>> What are the pros & cons of the RB?
>> The used Hasselblads are considerable more $$'s.  But, would this be the
>>wiser
>> investment - direction?
>>
>> I think it would be best to reply "privately", since this is not OM content.
>> Please mark the Subject with "PRIVATE" or "To BW" so I can scan the list for
>> Send to Onlyolybw@xxxxxxx
>> I look forward in picking the brains of this knowledgeable group.
>> Thanks,
>> Buddy Walters

 Where do you go from an OM? For any significant improvements in the
quality of the images it looks to me that you are going in the right
direction with a change in format. After thinking about this myself and
handling a few cameras at shows here are my thoughts for what they are
worth.  It seems to me that you have to consider what you are going to use
the camera for. Are you going to make humongous enlargements? Project
slides? Look at transparencies on a light table?

After looking at B&W enlargments to 11x14 inches done by the same guy with
a Leica and a Hasselblad and being unable to guess which camera took which
picture, I would say that a larger format is only useful above that size.
Of course because of necessary cropping this was a contest between a very
good 35mm and a very good 6x4.5. Unless you intend make large images it is
probably a waste of money. You also have to consider hauling your stuff
around. You probably will tend to not take the camera outfit when you make
last minute decisions. You get spoiled with Oly stuff.

I agree the RB or RZ are huge. They and the Pentax 6x7 are strictly tripod
cameras IMO. The Pentax is nice 'cause it is relatively cheap, but good and
very similar to your Oly except for size. Budget for a larger tripod than
you are used to.

To me a 6x4.5 negative is just not that much gain over 35mm to make the
sacrifice worth it. Plus there is the bother that for many of them the
default position is a vertical which is ok if you mostly photograph people,
but I do mostly landscape. Definitely not easy to pop on the tripod after
your Oly.

The Mamiya 6 & 7 are, though large, amazingly light and easy to handle.
Very tempting, but expensive. If you balk at the price of an OM3Ti with a
35-80/F2.8 then this is not the camera for you. They have trouble focussing
closely enough for close portraits, but on the other hand it is a big
negative that can be cropped. Very accurate rangefinder focussing.

For me the later model Bronicas seem to be well made and somewhat more
compact than their Mamiya counterparts.

Hasselblad seems to be to be a very serious consideration. The nonmotorized
models are amazingly compact when compared to any of the competition. You
get a 6x6 negative. If you would always crop to a rectangle if using a 6x6,
then a 6x4.5 maybe makes sense. On the other hand the Hasselblad is not any
larger or heavier than most of of the smaller format competition. Then you
also have the advantage of square pictures with full resolution which can
be quite stunning. In addition you have the choice of many Zeiss lenses
with their legendary quality. Hey, Ansel Adams liked them.

And if you decide that this is the way to go, the slow, contemplative
approach to photography you could consider one of my pet day dreams, a
Linhof small format(up to 6x9) Teknika field camera with swings, tilts and
other adjustments to play with.  Not so expensive compared to what you are
talking about.

I would have to choose between a Mamiya 7 or a Hasselblad with the edge
going to the 7.  My advise is to go to one of the "camera shows" even if
you have to travel a bit and handle a bunch of these cameras and try to
imagine the size and weight of the extra camera bag. Try to imagine taking
a hand held picture with a lens on it. My 2 cents.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx