Re: [OM] New Olympus user puzzled about which flash to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olympus user puzzled about which flash to buy?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:30:55 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/98 6:33:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
roy.bennett@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I have recently become the proud owner of an OM1n, which I intend to use
 for a photography course I am attending. Consequently, I have a lot of
 questions that I hope someone can answer!

 Reading my manual, it seems the best flash unit for my camera is the T32.
 This gives me X synch speeds of 1/60sec or slower. Would a newer model
 improve on this or am I stuck with this maximum synch? BTW, can someone
 explain FP flash - it is mentioned in the manual as synch-ing up to
 1/1000sec.>>

X synch with the OM-1n is 1/60, for any flash. All the T32 buys you is that it
controls the flash LED in the finder. Unless you envision moving up to one of
the auto bodies (OM-2, 2n, 2S, 4, 4Ti, PC, etc...) where you can take
advantage of the T32's TTL capabilities, I would suggest something like a
Vivitar 283 or 285. I use a 283 on my OM-1 all the time.

FP flash is for flash bulbs. Great if you want to synch at high speeds, but
good luck finding any!

<< I have three lenses; 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, and 135mm f2.8.

 A local shop has a 28mm f2 for sale in excellent condition. Would there be
 much benefit in trading in my 28mm f2.8 for the f2? >>

I'm not familiar with either of these lenses.

 <<The 50mm has two or three black specks of dust (or something) which seem to
 be between the lenses. Will this affect my pictures? And if so, can these
 specks be removed?>>

If the specks are small, you're probably OK. Unless they are fungus, then you
need to get the lens cleaned. Any competent repair shop should be able to
clean the lens. Ask around for recommendations.

 <<Here in not so sunny Wales I am pushing it to get shutter speeds of 1/125.
 When using the 135mm this risks camera shake when hand held, as the OM1n
 has no intermediate speed between 1/125 and 1/250. Would I be better off
 changing this lense for the 100mm f2.8?>>

Personally, I don't think I would start swapping lenses for this reason. If
you're really worried about camera shake, better off spending money on a
tripod, IMHO.

 <<And finally, the same shop has a 28-48 f4 lense for sale. As most of my
 photography is landscape stuff, is this a good 'all-in-one' compromise when
 travelling light?>>

I own the 28-48. Love it. Very compact, takes 49mm filters, and I've been
happy with the performance. Only game in town if you want a Zuiko zoom wider
than 35mm.

 <<Photography, so far, is a mystery to me. I hope someone can throw some
 light on it sometime - preferably at a high synch speed. >>

My advice - shoot lots of film!

Hope this helps.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI