Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses; all-aluminum bearings

Subject: Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses; all-aluminum bearings
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:07:11 EDT
To address some misconceptions:

<< Back in 1972 when Olympus designed the Zuiko lens system, there was no ED
glass. >>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canon was marketing man-made Fluorite lenses way
before that.  Isn't that an extra low dispersion (ED) "glass?"

<< Also, they kept the number of elements down, both because they didn't have
multicoating at the time and because they valued light weight. >>

Multicoating was around in the 1950's.  I believe that View Camera magazine
just had an article on this.  It took the marketing types till the late 1970's
to get us thinking we had to have it.

<< Actually, several Zuikos have multicoating, especially the high-speed wide-
angle lenses. These, of course, were not part of the initial lens offering. >>

We all know from:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt
what Zuiko did and when.  The 24mm f/2.0, 28mm f/2.0 and 35mm f/2.0 WERE part
of the 1-1974 initial products release, although Olympus didn't MENTION
multicoating of them in internal product literature till 1-1978.

The URL cited above has quite a gap from 10-1974 till 1-1978.  If anyone has
lens literature from between those dates, it would be interesting to see if
multicoated was mentioned.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV