Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses; all-aluminum bearings

Subject: Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses; all-aluminum bearings
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:00:43 -0800
On 21 Sep 98 at 8:29, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> Are readers aware that Zuiko lenses have all-aluminum bearings, rather
> than the mixture of aluminium and brass used in most other lenses (at
> least in '72)? This, too, was done to save weight. In theory, the Zuiko
> lenses should wear out faster and be more likely to bind. This does not
> seem to have been a problem. (At least, I've never heard any discussion
> of it.)

Interesting. My 35/2.8 got sand in the focus helicoid on our honeymoon 8 years
ago and locked up. It was repaired by an Oly service centre, but still has a
slight roughness in part of the focus range, where I assume a grain of sand
jammed and damaged the soft aluminum. (Note that I stopped using it
immediately, so the damage happened very fast).
The slight roughness in this lens is a constant reminder to be very careful
when working around sand and dust...
Do some lenses use brass or other materials for this part? The Tamron 28 f/2.8
I bought on the weekend seems quite old, but very well made, and has a nice
silky feel to the focus ring. I wonder if it uses brass?

Also, my old Zuiko 135/3.5 has not seen a lot of use, but has a fair amount of
play in the focus ring. I assumed this is due to dried up lubricant, but is
there some way to adjust the amount of play?