[OM] Victoria Camera Show results

Subject: [OM] Victoria Camera Show results
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:21:09 -0800
I'm still a little sore from kicking myself all the way home yesterday...

Gary Schloss informed me of the Victoria show which I went to on Sunday. Not
expecting to find much, and not having much to spend, I took $100 cash. Less
than five minutes in the door I came across a pristine Zuiko 85-250 f5 original
caps, perfect glass, etc for $300 CDN. Since this equates to less than $200 US,
I knew this was a good (probably great) price. But I also knew I'd be sleeping
in the garden shed until Christmas if I bought it. I thought about the "hide it
in the garage" trick, but knew that $300 missing from the bank would be
noticed. I waffled for about 2 hours, getting very close to taking it a few
times. I decided that if it was still there an hour before closing, I'd offer
$250 and take it away. Just after noon, an older fellow sauntered up, opened
his wallet and handed over a wad, and grabbed it, while I stood helplessly
watching across the room. I went over and talked to him: he was replacing
a 50-250 for his wife, which had been stolen a few weeks earlier. I thought of
offering him $300 on the spot (he paid $275), but decided I'd had enough
punishment for one day....

I proceeded to drown my sorrows in various cheap bits of useless stuff
(including a 49-55 and 55-49 stepring set I'd already bought in anticipation of
getting the 85-250). In all, I did ok, I guess, but I'm still pretty upset
about missing the zoom.

I ended up getting a Tamron 28 f2.8 lens in good shape, perfect glass. It
appears to be an older design, but seems very solid, and is marked as BBAR MC.
(has a reddish tinge to the coating)  I will report how it compares with the
Zuiko 35/2.8 soon.

Other Zuikos seen at the show:

300/4.5 $450
50/3.5 Macro $300
Both mint- (appeared barely used, original caps, clean glass)

100/2 $400
28/2 $225
Both show signs of use, but overall very good to excellent, glass perfect.

I took cards for the above items, since prices seemed decent when converted
to US$. If anyone is interested, please write me off list.

Thanks.

ps: I passed on an Olympus 49mm CloseUp lens ($15), as I assumed a 50/1.8 with
extension would be as good or better. Is this correct, or is there a case where
a close up lens is a better choice?