Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] multi-coated lenses
From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:49:45 -0700
> http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt
> what Zuiko did and when.  The 24mm f/2.0, 28mm f/2.0 and 35mm f/2.0 WERE part
> of the 1-1974 initial products release, although Olympus didn't MENTION
> multicoating of them in internal product literature till 1-1978.
>
> The URL cited above has quite a gap from 10-1974 till 1-1978.  If anyone has
> lens literature from between those dates, it would be interesting to see if
> multicoated was mentioned.

Hi all,
I have some additional information on the multocoating theme.
According to the book "The world of OM-systems by Franz Pangerl
printed in *1975* all Zuikos are single coated except 18mm F3.5,
24 mm F2.0, 28 mm F2.0 and 35 mm F2.0, that are multicoated. This was
Olympus coating policy at that time according to Pangerl: The coating
treatment consists of one layer in the case of standard lens
constructions and of multilayer in the case of multi lens systems
which require extra treatment in order to suppress internal flare
effects. As regards questions in coating techniques, therefore,
Olympus is guided entirely by the demands of practice. The efficience
of the coating seems especially good in the 35 mm F2. Norman Goldberg
writes about this lens in PoP Photo (April 1986): The 35-mm F2 bears
the distinction of producing the lowest flare level of any lens we
have tested in recent history that I can recall.

Mikael