Re: [OM] Misc ramblings in regard to 85 f2 focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Misc ramblings in regard to 85 f2 focus
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:02:13 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/98 8:56:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Regarding miscellanious issues here is something I found out about my 85
 >f2. I took it to a Giants ball game where we had nose bleed seats -- one
 >row from the very top. I wanted to use my 85 instead of the 50 f1.8 because
 >I "see" more like  the 85. It was a bright, cloudless day and so very
 >constrasty which makes focusing easy. I noticed with one lens(the 300mm
 >f4.5) that infinity focus on the barrel is too far, i.e. out of focus. Now,
 >I have learned from this august mailing list that this is not uncommon with
 >long telephotos. But when I tried the 85 I was surprised!
 >
 >I couldn't turn the focusing ring far enough to get sharp(in focus) focus
 >at infinity. I was using a screen with a split screen and could see that
 >the image was not comletely lined up. And the image was ever so slightly
 >fuzzy.
 >Andre
 >San Carlos, CA
 >USA

 Andre,

 Does this happen with any other lens?  When I noticed this, mostly with the
 50/1.4 on my OM1N, I suspected the camera mirror for months (of course my
 OM4 has built-in correction).  Eventually, after many rolls with some
 strangely unfocused photos, I was told at my annual medical that I had
 astigmatism in my right eye.

 I now wear spectacles and the problem is no more (or I use an eyecup with a
 correction lens installed).

 BTW, the OM Handbook states specifically that the 300/4.5 has a buffer at
 the infinity end to allow for temperature changes, so you may reach
 infinity before you get to the end.

 Hope that this helps

 Chris

Based on Andre's comment that the split image wasn't lining up, I would
suspect the lens or the mirror alignment. Unfortunatley, precisely because the
300/4.5 allows focusing *past* infinity, this extra focus travel may be
masking a mirror alignment problem, at least with that lens.

Andre, do you have infinity focus problems with the 50/1.8? If not, your
problem is probably the 85/2 lens. Also, do you have another body to try the
85/2 on? And finally, are the pictures shot at infinity with the 300/4.5 well
focused? I think the answer to any of these questions will isolate the
problem.

Hope this helps.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI