[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #512

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #512
From: Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:15:26 -0600 (MDT)
Ken writes:

Yes, Denton, I'm quite predictable.  The Mamiya is an ancient Super-23.
With 100/3.5, 6x7 back, built-in bellows, ground glass back, and alumunim
case, it set me back around $300.  Takes very decent pictures and is great
for handheld photography--except for the extreme weight.
                          ==============================

The older Press Deluxe and Press G are significantly lighter weight
than the Super 23 and Super G (or Universal, which lacks rear movements).
A Press Deluxe with 1 back and 90/3.5 lens is lighter weight than a
Pentax 67 with 90/2.8 lens, probably 300-400gm lighter in fact.

Press G is a Press Deluxe with Graflok back instead of Mamiya back,
and Super G is a Super 23 with Graflok back instead of Mamiya back.

The Super G and Super 23 have a larger body, and a re-enforced lens mount
to accommodate the massive 250/5.  They also have a superior viewfinder
that does parallax correction automatically and has frame lines for
a wider range of focal lengths.  But for ground glass focusing work,
the Press Deluxe or Press G is probably better on account of being smaller
and lighter.

j. albert