Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:59:44 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/98 11:29:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gheier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Lenses are indeed cheap for them, much cheaper than thier manual focus
 counterparts. The big problem with OM-77s is they seem to be very few
 and far between. Was there some design problem that caused the early
 extinction of these? >>

I looked at this camera carefully when it first came out. I would say that
yes, there was a design flaw - power focus. I found trying to manually focus
the AF lenses was maddening using that little slide switch on the back of the
camera. I suppose in time one might get used to it, but then again, maybe not.
The OM-88, which had a thumbwheel to power focus, was a little better. That,
plus the fact that with MF Zuikos there is *no* exposure display in the finder
(aperture priority mode, no shutter speed display!). I think if Oly had made a
more traditional AF design, with a focusing ring on the lens, the OM system
would be going strong today (at least stronger than it is today, from the
standpoint of market share).

Again, I will qualify this with a resounding *IMHO*

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI