Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:34:57 -0700
Shawn Wright wrote:

>SNIP
>
> > How about an IS-10 for her?  Or an IS-3?  They are a fair number of them on
> > the used market.  But, the bottom line is does she know what she wants?
>
> She wants something simple and fully automatic. I don't like the
> idea of wasting mega $$$ on processing mediocre shots from a
> cheap P&S.

Whoaaaa!  back up the P&S truck!  An Oly user should express such
blasphemy toward the venerable IS series? <g>  Seriously, they may
function somewhat like a P&S, buth the quality of the results will be
much better.  The IS-3 lens is on a par with or better than the typical
zooms for Canon et al AF SLRs.  And the IS-3 AF and other capabilities
are comparable to the mid range of the other makers.  Don't overlook it.

I handled a -10 once and it feels much more plasticky and fragile.  And
it lacks many of the features of the -3.

> She has taken good pictures with my OM-10 in the
> past, but focus is always the problem if anything. I've never even
> handled an IS, maybe I should...

You should.  Mught be just what you're looking for.  I got my -3 used
for $300.  It's quite a camera for that price. 35-180, how much more
will she need?

--

george  :>)