Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Sep 98 17:03:02 +0200
On Ven, 25 set 1998 4:46, Shawn Wright <mailto:swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>1. If the AF is decent, and the built in flash is ok for snapshots, would
this
>make a suitable P&S candidate for my wife?

AF quality can vary but even in best specimen is slow if compared to a
modern AF camera. Still quite usable with a bit of patience. Cool the
built-in IR lighter for shots in darkness.

>2. I saw a few OM AF lenses very cheap at the show, mainly because they
>have
>no manual focus control, so I could presumably get an OM-77 with lens
>fairly
>cheap.

This is one of the best reasons for buying an OM-77. You can get a 24, a 50
2.8 macro, a 28-85 or a 35-105 for a song.

>3. Is the OM-77 suitable for an occasional backup body to my 4T, with
>manual
>focus lenses? ie: how is the metering, manual control, etc.

Yes it is. You are compelled in auto mode only (with Zuikos), but that is
not a big drawback for an occasional backup. And you have OTF TTL flash too
and a better performance (due to a faster vertical shutter) with the F-280
flash. Screen is quite bright too. You cannot use an OM-winder but who
cares? there is one built-inside, with re-winding too. You can use
everithing of "conventional-OM" bay system, but very few exceptions.

>4. Am I nuts to even consider this? (it *seems* logical...)

Not so much.

>Any OM-77 owners who can comment out there?

Olympus tried an intermediate amount of AF - MF compatibility, respect to
Nikon-Pentax (almost full compatibility) and Minolta-Canon (no
compatibility at all). This might have been a killer ystem if only Oly had
gone on with a pro AFcamera. There still are many N-2020 users... why
shouldn't you use a 77?

Marco

PS and seeing the f/ value in the finder is cool!!!!