Re: [OM] Theoretical Lens Resolution.

Subject: Re: [OM] Theoretical Lens Resolution.
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:01:32 EDT
Hi Mark:

> He gave
>  us an equation and we worked through an example with
>  a 50mm F2 lens.  It turns out that the resolution limit
>  DUE TO DIFFRACTION is on the order of about
>  500 line pairs per millimeter.  Thats right -- 500!!!!

Hopefully he pointed out that you have to shoot at maximum aperture to
THEORETICALLY get the maximum resolution and minimum loss due to diffraction.
The article in Photo Techniques on the Leica 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux shows that as
you stop down any lens you progressively reduce the potential resolution.
Thus, f/22 is often an inferior aperture on our most widely used Zuikos.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV