[OM] Insurance, no OM content

Subject: [OM] Insurance, no OM content
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 05:55:39 -0400

>I had some problems with Insurance in the US (for cars) when I was there in
>88-90.  They would not accept my insurance history from the UK and Germany,
>so they (State Farm in Florida) put me on some tiny indemnity ($10/10/30k I
>think it was) for 6 months until I had a US history.  Then they put me on
>the proper indemnity of 100/100/300!! ... in the UK and Germany the
>personal liability is unilimited!  Is it the same with other insurance
>policies?
>
>Regards
>Chris

I'm not sure if you mean your overseas policy covers you for unlimited
liability, or if your personal liability is unlimited. Here, what with the
different legal climate, your liablility is always unlimited. IOW, some one
can theoretically sue you for $100,000,000.00 and you have liability for
any judgement in excess of your insurance policy.

If you have any substantial assets to protect you can take out (and State
Farm sells them, that's where mine is from) what's called a Personal
Umbrella policy. If you have both auto and homeowner's policies you buy the
umbrella policy to cover you for any additional liablity you may incur. I
have a million dollar umbrella policy and it only costs me <$200 a year.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com