Re: [OM] Oly OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:52:08 +0200
Denton Taylor wrote:

> At 09:33 PM 9/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 98-09-24 14:00:00 EDT, you write:
>
> >>What I don't
> understand is the attitude of this group that Oly has "thrown in the towel."
> Guess these people think that Lamborgini and Ferrari have "thrown in the
> towel" since they didn't try to make a Pinto.

Actual Ferrari "makes" the Cinqecento. To the non European members: the
"cinquecento" is a very small budget car made by Fiat, the mother
company of Ferrari. It´s so small, that it is know in Poland as
"elephant shoe".

Olympus has his own Cinquecento, the mju, stylus series.

> Well, that was my attitude, not necessarily that of the whole group. In
> fact I'm probably the minority. Lamborghini has thrown in the towel also
> and become part of a bigger group.
Like Ferrari, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, ...., Nikon, Leitz.

Wasn´t Lamborghini owned by Chrysler, later Malysian Investors and is
now part of Volkswagen?

Who are the owner is, does actualy says nothing about succes or quality
of the products of a certain company.

> >>Olympus.
> "Thrown in the towel?"   NO WAY!
> Moved mass production to more profitable areas?  Yep.
> Note that the digital Olympus cameras get rave reviews.
> As do their P&S.
> >>

> My comments were directed solely to the SLR area. Of course they have a
> thriving business in other areas.

Does Fiat make money with Ferrari? Doubtfull..

Regards

Richard